Kansas City, KS asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Arkansas

Q: What can you do if you can't pay your fines

I live in Missouri now but in 2011 I was living in Hot Springs AR, I got a public intoxication charge and never paid the fine. Now they have a hold on my drivers license so I can't get reinstated but I am eligible for reinstatement in MO, I have not had a DL since 2008/9 because I had a dui in MO. I'm trying to put my life back together I'm sober now for 4 years and this is holding back from moving forward with my life and I just can't pay it. I have a warrant now in Garland county and they told me on the phone that I have to turn myself in, and that they wouldn't take a payment now even if I had the money, I have to show up in person. What if anything can I do about it ? I'm willing to go down there and pay it off with jail time if that is an option but I have a job here and 2 kids and a home I can't just go down there and end up sitting in jail for who knows how long. If I turn myself in will it take money off for time spent in jail?

Any advice will be much appreciated!!

2 Lawyer Answers

W. Whitfield Hyman

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If you hire an attorney they may be able to lift the warrant for you.

I recommend Shane Ethridge in that area.

Harley Wagner

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Martinsburg, WV

A: True financial inability to pay has been an area of national concern among criminal justice attorneys. Judges, however, must be convinced that you cannot pay. Plus, the judges want you to communicate with probation, when such issues arise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.