Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: Can I fight a ticket for drug paraphernalia if they messed up my cars model on the ticket? I drive a XLS!

I drive a XLS and they put UTS, is that enough to fight the ticket! My vin number and license number are correct?

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on May 9, 2020

No, not just because the model is wrong. There may be other ways to attack the ticket, but that isn't going to make or break it.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Arkansas on
Q: Tonight I was written a ticket for contributing to the delinquency of a minor in Arkansas , what should my next step be

The cops showed up because a buddy who wasn’t there has a crazy girlfriend, and she showed up looking for him and then called the cops and told them a lie about somebody who was really drunk and left the house. Nobody was really drunk but a few people had a couple drinks at my house.

James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Mar 28, 2020

Thank you for reaching out. The citation is a class A Misdemeanor in Arkansas. This is up to one year in the county jail and up to $2500 fine if you plead guilty or are found guilty by a Judge. The charge may stay on your record forever. You can seal this record though. Depending on which court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: DFW, TX resident, recently rcvd 3/1 tkt (speeding over 15 mph, reckless driving -1st dg, endanger welfare) in AR

I rcvd 3 tickets traveling thru AR to Memphis for MLK DAY, I would like to obtain an attorney due to the seriousness of the charges & the discrepancies from the Troopers verbal statements vs the charges listed on the citation. Will obtaining an attorney help w/ possible deferred adjudication on... Read more »

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jan 22, 2020

Maybe, maybe not. There are several issues the attorney would have to evaluate, some may not be apparent until discovery is reviewed. What Arkansas county were you in and what court is listed on the ticket?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: I use an Amber flashing light on m car that I use as a Hazzard light. I got a ticket. What the max fine?

I use it so people can't say they didn't see me when they hit my car. I've seen others use similar light too while driving. Why did I get a ticket for Hazzard light use .

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jan 2, 2020

It is running all the time becasue you want people to always see it?

If so, it sounds like a violation of 27-36-208(c). You aren't an authorized emergency vehicle, only using it as a turn signal and "just driving" is not an unusual traffic hazard.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: I have a failure to comply MISD. They issued a warrant and bond is $910.00. Will they take me to jail if I pay part of t

They have issued a warrant but I can’t pay the full $910. Will they take payment plans without taking me to jail?

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Sep 4, 2019

Ticket in Arkansas (I see you are in TN)? It varies from court to court, really. You will have to appear on the warrant, then address the misdemeanor. Depending on the court, an attorney could make a big difference in how all it plays out (maybe get the FTA dropped, negotiate the fine down, etc.).

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: Is there a time limit to getting your car off the side of the road in arkansas state?

My car was on the side of the road for a little over a hour

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 4, 2019

It is unlawful to leave an unattended car on the side of most roads in every state. And--depending upon which road it is, the authorities will be sure to give tickets (and may even impound cars) when in interest of public safety.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Arkansas on
Q: How can a roadway be a portion of a highway if a highway is within the boundary lines of a roadway?

Arkansas Code Annotated Title 27 Transportation Subtitle 4. Motor Vehicular Traffic Chapter 49 General Provisions Subchapter 1-- Title, Applicability, and Construction Generally

27-49-114. Definitions.

(23) "Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 8, 2018

Means the berm shouldn't be used for travel, the highway is. Thus "driving in lanes meant for travel" is the vehicular code perverse citation for didn't stay in lane of travel and went off the side of the road.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: What can you do if you can't pay your fines

I live in Missouri now but in 2011 I was living in Hot Springs AR, I got a public intoxication charge and never paid the fine. Now they have a hold on my drivers license so I can't get reinstated but I am eligible for reinstatement in MO, I have not had a DL since 2008/9 because I had a dui... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Sep 27, 2018

If you hire an attorney they may be able to lift the warrant for you.

I recommend Shane Ethridge in that area.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: Just got pulled over for purple lights and got a ticket is purple illegal
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Aug 2, 2018

Probably. There are SEVERAL rules/restrictions for vehicle lights in Arkansas (placement, color, height, alignment of the light beams, number of feet were the beam's center point must be, etc.).

Finding a way to install purple lights of some kind and NOT violate one or more of them...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: If you was backing back on road way and hit a vehicle can a police officer give you a ticket for careless driving
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jun 25, 2018

Yes. I have received 2 tickets for backing into vehicles. The key is what to do AFTER you get the ticket. If you need to contest it for insurance or other reasons, hire an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: I live out of state and completely forgot about a speeding ticket I received in Arkansas. How do I clear up the warrant?

I want to stop the pending license suspension from happening since it was truly an honest mistake!

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 15, 2018

Hire an attorney to appear for you on the Failure To Appear (FTA) warrant, so you don’t have to come here. Once the warrant is settled, said atty can work on resolution of the charge.


I’m a lawyer. I’m not your lawyer. This is my opinion and not legal advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: what's the penalty for a ticket for drug paraphernalia. ( an unused marijuana pipe
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 15, 2018

An “unused” pipe (no residue) in my world is for tobacco...

If the charge is 5-64-443 and the substance is marijuana it is a class A misdemeanor

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: If someone has a fleeing on foot 2nd offense,expired tags no insurance and driving on suspended can he be violated with

A parole hold can he be violated even if the charges are misdemeanors and he already been given 15 flat days and a pay before release can he be violated once he already face his charges and fines

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 14, 2018

He can be violated if he is convicted of a new offense or violates any condition of parole. It sounds like that is exactly what happened, unfortunately.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Arkansas on
Q: In the state of Arkansas what is the law underneath the constitutional rights of driving with a driver's license suspens
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Apr 14, 2018

There is no constitutional right to drive. Driving is a privilege. That means you have to do what it takes to have the license and follow the rules. If you driver's license is suspended, you may be able to get a permit to drive to work, school, medical, lawyer, etc. You will have to visit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: Is unsafe driving in AR Is this a misdemeanor? Will I lose my license? I have had a clean record before this.

I have never been in trouble with the law before. The officer told me to just pay my fine and see afterwards if i could get it of my record. He marked it as a traffic offense but not a criminal offense. I am worried because I don't want to lose my job, license or anything. Can someone please... Read more »

James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Mar 4, 2018

It's only a traffic offense. You will not lose your job or license. Go to court and ask the prosecutor to keep this off your record. If it is clean, you might have to pay a few bucks more on the fine but should be able to keep it off your record.

If the Court denies your request to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Arkansas on
Q: i stopped at a stop sign until all was clear for me to turn. i was struck my a motorist going over twice the speed limit

the motorist had a brand new crotch rocket motorcycle and estimated speed was over 2 times the posted speed limit as he shot around the sharp curve and hit me. it is all on video as well and with many witnesses. he had no insurance and my car is broken. what should i do?

James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Nov 22, 2017

If you have insurance you can make a claim. If you do not want to do that you should seek a lawyer. Joe Denton is one of the best. 501.358.4999

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: I went to court for a traffic violation. I pleaded not guilty. The traffic violation date was reset for trial . After I

Pleaded not guilty. I was surprised when I was charged with failure to comply on another issue. I was taken to jail and given a new court date for the failure to comply. I bonded out . My question is , will I go to jail again when I go to this new court date for failure to comply ? After being put... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Nov 4, 2017

You have not provided enough details for anyone to answer this question. The only way a lawyer could answer any of this is if you hired him to go talk to the prosecutor.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Arkansas on
Q: I am a class A cdl holder. My record is spotless. I got a speeding ticket today. 67 in a 55 should I fight it?
Adam Joseph Childers
Adam Joseph Childers answered on Oct 30, 2017

I would if I was in your position. There are number of things that can happen, the prosecutor can reduce the charge or work something out. Does not hurt to fight the ticket.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Federal Crimes for Arkansas on
Q: Can you get fines reset and jail time suspended for failure to pay and failure tp appear?

I have 2 traffic violations in 2 cities with failure to appears stacked on them now. The reason i didnt pay was because i was termonated from my employer now I have multiple fta's in both city and arrest warrants. I just wanna restart!!

Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes answered on Oct 9, 2017

You need to have an attorney arrange for you to appear in each Court and surrender on the warrants. You may be able to set up a time pay if you are guilty of the underlying offense and plead guilty to them.

If you get stopped by police you may be detained with those warrants outstanding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.