Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law, Probate, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas

Q: How do I amend my child's birth certificate to add her deceased father to it ?

My daughter's father passed before she was born. My son receives the social security survivors benefits. Social security told me to get a legal sibling DNA test and to send them the sealed document. They rejected her application because I did not amend her birth certificate. I was told to contact an attorney to get a court order to petition to adjudicate parentage and then take that to Texas vitals and get her birth certificate amended. How do I do this process and do I need an attorney or can I just go to the court and file it myself?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can review the information provided at the Texas Department of State Health Services, VItal Statistics division to review the process. Here is the link:

Since you will need a court order, it would be best if you contact a local family law attorney to assist you. You want to make sure it is done properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.