Cleveland, OH asked in Business Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: Can i sue in small claims court for money someone "owes" me in purchase agreement plus the max $6000 you can sue for?

They have breached the contract completely to buy a small business, business and taxes are in good standing, the purchase agreement has been signed, and they are still promising they will pay even after the extension we gave past closing date. They have caused a lot of damage, the contract does not say anything about recinding. They owe well over $6000 for small claims. Does the contract count as money to sue for, or can it be money he owes(specific performance), and i can sue for $6000 in damages as well. Must this go into superior court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The maximum award in small claims court is $6000. In municipal court it is $15,000. Beyond that amount, or for specific performance, it is Common Pleas Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.