Seattle, WA asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Washington

Q: How do I take legal action against a dog handler extorting me and get my dog back, and without harm to dog?


verbal agreement of breeding- handler is extorting me by not returning my dog unless I give her 500 cash and sign a contract I have never seen.

Handler has had my dog for a week to breed. Handler decided she now needs a written contract, and stalled me after driving 2 hours to retrieve my dog, saying she didn’t have contract ready, then ultimately pretended not be home when I knocked to get my dog.

I was okay with original terms, but after all this headache of downtown time of trying to get her back, we have returned home with no dog I don’t think that’s fair and have asked to go through legal channels.

Police will not help and say it’s a civil matter. My kids are heartbroken, it’s two days to Christmas.

Tonight she has threatened to give my dog the the morning after pill unless I agree to her terms. I need a court order.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: See: This law makes it a crime to steal or otherwise harm a pet animal in WA State. The application of this law is fact dependent. Also, it sounds like your opponent is claiming a lien on your dog, though I only know of such liens in the case of certain livestock (not dogs) - see As for your contractual issues, more info is required, though of course you cannot be legally forced to sign this contract.

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.