Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Legal Malpractice for North Dakota

Q: This case is about me I want to reopen my criminal case and get a new trial based off misrepresentation is that possible

They had several violations of the rules of professional conduct and got disbared because of it if it's possible how do I go about filing papers myself and what forms will I need

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Many people attempt to do this and fail. More would need to be known about your particular case. You do not want to file a frivolous motion with any court as doing so will just cost you a lot of time and headache. With that being said, if an attorney violated the rules and that resulted in a conviction for you, it is probably worth exploring. You may be looking for what is called post conviction relief, but I would highly suggest you do not go about it on your own if it all possible. Call a few attorneys and feel out the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.