Kent, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: how many years do i have to maintain a minimum income as a sponsor for green card application?

My current income for 2018 was about 25k and I am the sponsor for my husband. IN the previous years, i made less than 20k. Am I be able to sponsor my husband if we apply the green card in 2019?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Generally you must provide your income level for the past 3 years, current income, and your most recent tax return and W-2. If the amounts are pretty consistently at the required level of income, you probably will not have to provide anything else. If you previous income was below the required limit but your current income meets the requisite level, you may be asked to provide more information documenting your current level (employment letter, pay stubs, etc.)

Regardless of income, you are still the petitioner and thus, a sponsor. If you income is not sufficient, you may need to find a joint sponsor who is willing to provide his/her financial info and sign stating that your husband would not be dependent on the government. This can be anyone who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who lives in the U.S. This does not have to be a family member.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Washington

A: As long as you meet the minimum requirement for the year he files his application, then yes. Currently the minimum income for a household of 2 is $20,575. That will go up on March 1st.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.