Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Rebecca White
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Washington on
Q: How can one benefit either work authorisation,travel..when his removal proceedings case has been administively closed?

I applied for asylum and was to attend my hearing next month but i instead received a letter indicatin "motion to administively close removal proceedings"can i get work authorisation or travel documents while in this status?How can i benefit from this and for how long should it remain closed?

Rebecca White
Rebecca White answered on Jun 26, 2012

Employment authorization will depend upon whether the court stopped the clock or if 180 days had passed since the application was filed. Travel is not advisable, even with advance parole.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: Entered US illegally 20yrs ago. Im 25, married to US citizen who had a history of cancer. Any laws that will help me???

I was 4 years of age when I entered the US along with my mother. At that time she was eligible for a social and drivers license but she does not have a green card. She applied for refugee, there is a case number that was closed and she does not have a order of deportation.she said I was added to... Read more »

Rebecca White
Rebecca White answered on Jun 26, 2012

You may benefit under the new Deferred Action program. You may also be able to apply for a greencard based upon your marriage. You will need to provide more information regarding when and how you entered the US, and you will need to obtain a copy of your mother's asylum application.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for New York on
Q: How do we immigrate after a death of petitioner?

My sister was a citizen of U.S.A, she filed my family petition in the year 2000 october. we are from india. we completed our formalities of DS 230 and AOS in 2010. but our visa interivew was delayed. we appeared for visa 1 month ago and we have been given this letter mentioning 221g . there is 1... Read more »

Rebecca White
Rebecca White answered on Jun 26, 2012

In some instances the petition may move forward after a petitioner has died, but more often than not you will not be able to move forward unless you have compelling humanitarian circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Washington on
Q: Fiancée has immigration court next month, can judge give us time to get married and file a petition for him to stay?

He was driving under the influence of alcohol, his first time.. We have

A two year old baby. We want to get married but we are both still married

To other people and we want time to resolve our divorce and be able to marry.

But he has his court next month and the judge only... Read more »

Rebecca White
Rebecca White answered on Jun 26, 2012

You will need to have as much prepared as possible to show the good faith relationship, the birth certificate for your child, and your intention to marry as soon as possible. You may be able to request sufficient time to prepare everything.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: I am a citizen.My fiancee has been in the us illegaly since he was a child. Can i file an I130 For him?
Rebecca White
Rebecca White answered on Dec 5, 2011

This will depend upon when and how he entered the US, how and when his parents entered, and if anything has previously been filed with the immigration service on his behalf. You may want to try for a listing of immigration attorneys. Once you marry you can file an I-130 immigrant... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.