Antlers, OK asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: My mother died 2018 w/handwritten will leaving me 2 lots bare land. How can I get it in my name w/o lawyer?

I am on SS and have very limited funds. My mother left me the land she owned, 2 lots in Grant, OK. Handwritten will, land is all there is and value is maybe $2000 or less. Is there a way to get it switched over to my name without court, lawyers and such? I want to donate it in her name to our church.

2 Lawyer Answers

Doak Willis

  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: No unless you know the probate laws of Oklahoma and can do the paperwork required to file in Court to clear up the title to the property. But you would still have to file paperwork in Court.

Richard Winblad agrees with this answer

Richard Winblad

  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Perhaps your church has an attorney who would do the paperwork for free or the church would pay the costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.