North Augusta, SC asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for South Carolina

Q: Was injured at Walmart while working for them just recently. 4 days ago let H R know about losing feeling in both hands

Yesterday 3 hours before my shift ended I was called into office and was told that due to a b s excuse they like to use I have to be terminated Now I don't know if I can get help with my situation and they are liable. I had been with them full time for over 2 years I have No insurance Please help

4 Lawyer Answers

Timur Akpinar


A: Try additionally reposting your question in the Workers' Compensation section. Hopefully one of the experienced attorneys in that category could pick up the question.

Tim Akpinar

Carole Jean Hayes

  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The fact that your employment has ended does not change or have any impact on whether you have a workers compensation claim. You have to report it within 90 days, and you need to get the injury documented by a physician. Walmart needs to send you to a physician and if they will not, then you need to retain an attorney. You need to call one of us on AVVO because we can explain to you the benefits of having one of us help you. That way, you can make an informed decision regarding whether you need to have an attorney.

S.C. is an employment at will State so whether you have a cause of action regarding the termination is another question that needs to be explored. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Titus Thomas Nichols

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your employer cannot fire you because you were injured while on the job. There may be other facts or witnesses available that can provide more information about the situation. You need to contact an attorney who can guide you on what steps you need to follow to preserve your potential Workers Comp claim against your employer.

Peter N. Munsing


A: Call attorney Chuck (Carl) Jacobson in Charleston. Tell him I suggested you call. He handles workers comp, will give you a free consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.