Colorado Springs, CO asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Colorado

Q: Can the police illegally enter my home and take my husband's 2 service animals and sell them through the Humane Society?

They are licensed in his name and we were both illegally incarcerated when this was done. The police came in unannounced and attacked my disabled husband with complete disregard for repeated statements about his medical conditions. We were refused medical treatment on video by the officer who attacked us. My husband was held 5 days after bond was posted and was released the day after our babies were sold. We have documents for shots, registration and from the doctor on both of them.

2 Lawyer Answers
Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: This is not the type of question that can be answered without more information. I would highly recommend that you contact an attorney who handles these matters on a regular basis. In general, when a disabled person is incarcerated the police can impound service dogs unless the disabled person's condition absolutely cannot be ameliorated by other means, for example a person or medication that the jail would have to supply. Every jurisdiction is different as far as what notice needs to be given to the owner and how long the animals have to be held before they are considered "abandoned" and subject to being sold or rehomed.

Arnab Kumar Banerjee
Arnab Kumar Banerjee
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • kolkata, west bengal

A: this is not personal injury case. this is partly police harassment case. there are separate laws in Colorado where you can file complaint against police harassment. i am sharing a link of Colorado ACLU where it is said how you can complaint against police harassment. here is the link :

partly this case is animal abuse. for that Colorado has animal cruelty law. there you have your remedy. i am sharing the link which will deal exactly your case. here

if this information is of any help, please review or rate me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.