Brooklyn, NY asked in Employment Law for New York

Q: The HRA of NYC is trying to terminate me because of my past convictions can I get a temporarily injunction

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John  Howley
John Howley
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is possible (but very difficult) to obtain a temporary injunction in an employment termination case. You must present evidence that: (1) you will likely win the lawsuit; (2) that you will suffer "irreparable harm" if you are terminated; and (3) the equities are balanced in your favor. A lot will depend on the facts of your case, including whether you are a union member, whether HRA has other grounds to terminate you, etc.

The most difficult part is proving "irreparable harm." You will have to prove that money damages will not cure the harm caused by your termination. If your only harm is lost wages, then money damages will be sufficient. You must prove that you will suffer other types of harm that cannot be addressed by an award of money at the end of the case.

If you do win a temporary injunction, you may be required to post a bond. If it turns out that you should not have received injunctive relief, HRA will be able to collect damages against you.

This is not something you should try to handle on your own. Consult with an experienced labor and employment lawyer.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: The basis of your complaint is key. Did you lie about past convictions in your original employment application? Are there allegations that the convictions are in any way related to your ability to do your job? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.