Asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: My boyfriend is a PR of the USA. He was charged with a criminal offence back in 2002. He recently tried to visit me in

Canada and was denied entry. His court date was pushed out a couple times, but finally happened. They've since arrested him and he's been placed in a dentention center. They are talking about reopening his case. In which he didn't do any jail time, only probation. The family didn't press charges. The plan was for him to come to Canada as we're planning on getting married. There's talks of him maybe being deported. I feel helpless because I'm in Canada. He's located in Florida in which he only has extended family. His mom and sister live in New York. I don't know what to do. Anything advice would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: He, or someone on his behalf if he is detained, should likely contact an immigration lawyer to schedule a consultation. It would also be best to forward to the prospective attorney for your boyfriend copies of all criminal case documentation that you, your boyfriend or the family may have. This will help the attorney to analyze the situation more quickly. If he is in an immigration detention center, it may be best to look for an immigration attorney who is close in proximity to the detention center. Consider looking for an attorney who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) by using this AILA search website:

Kyndra Mulder

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A situation like this involving specific criminal and immigration facts requires a thorough review. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney who knows the effects of a criminal record on a persons immigration status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.