Clifton Park, NY asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: How long after going to county jail do you go to court? My boyfriend's been in there for 2 weeks with no bail

He was picked up for 3 warrants. Aggravated unlicensed operator, obstructed view, and possession of a controlled substance 7th and has no bail. His public defender will not call me back and he has had no luck trying to call him. His mother is in the hospital very sick and almost died and he is my only support in dealing with my 6 year old daughter's court case where she was raped and I can't get any answers as to if or when he will be released

The charges are out of Binghamton, NY. He was picked up from my house on January 31st and the detective told me he would be released the same day. When I called the court they said he was remanded without bail because of the possession charge and because he had failed to appear in court before. He was offered probation before but he never went to court. His family wants answers as to if or when he will get out and I have none to give them. I have called the Broome county public defenders office repeatedly and they still won't call me back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zev Goldstein
Zev Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Monsey, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: They need to release him within a week without bail if they don't do a probable cause hearing. The story sounds a bit extreme for a couple of non violent misdemeanors. Which Court are these charges filed in?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.