New Port Richey, FL asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: If my dad was arrested under criminal charges, what are the chances of having to go in front of an immigration lawyer?

My dad hasn’t ever been arrested before. He was set up by people and now we are stuck in a case that should not be happening in the first place. I have a criminal attorney but I need to know if I will need an immigration attorney as well.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your father is undocumented, in any type of lawful nonimmigrant status, or even a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident and is facing a pending criminal charge, it is advisable that he consult with a competent immigration attorney who can advise him (and possibly also his criminal defense attorney if that attorney does not practice immigration law) on the potential negative immigration consequences of pleading to or being convicted of certain criminal charges. If your father is in criminal detention, some immigration attorneys make jailhouse visits.

1 user found this answer helpful

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Depending on the circumstances, your father could be detained by immigration authorities, but it is difficult to say without more information. Certainly consulting with an immigration attorney to see what the impact of the criminal charges/convictions against your father. If he is undocumented, it might not matter what the crime is however; if he is turned over to immigration authorities he could be deportable simply because he is in the country without permission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.