Charlotte, NC asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Virginia

Q: My child father attacked me in front of our child. His 2nd domestic violence charge. Will he get custody/visitation?

I have sole physical & legal custody, visitation reserved to father, at mother’s discretion, since 2017. My child father attacked me when he dropped her off to my home, after having her for the weekend. DV has been an ongoing issue for years, and my daughter show signs to be traumatized. So I currently have her in therapy, and moved away from my last residence to get away from him. So I have not allowed her father to see her since then. He also violated protective order & 2 year good behavior violation, for third time. The first violation was dismissed, 2nd violation he was found guilty. He also caught a charge in Norfolk while on 2 year good behavior & was convicted, but no jail time.. just another 2 year good behavior with 1 year suspended sentence. I have had problems with him before and did a show cause, but it was dismissed, because the judge had continued the case to see if any more problems since then. At the time there were none, of course because he knew about the charge.

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Spotsylvania , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I have moved your question to family law because that is the area of law you have a question about. Domestic violence and criminal law is for those charged with offenses in those areas and requiring answers related to such.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.