Q: Should I accept a $2k settlement or proceed to arbitration in a substandard bathroom remodel complaint against Lowe’s?

I purchased products and contracted with Lowe’s to remodel 2 bathrooms. I signed a contract that stated the length of the project was “TBD” and was verbally told 4-5 weeks. The contractor was unprofessional and did substandard work and I asked that he be removed from the job after 8 weeks. The total length of the project ended up being 3 1/2 months and during that time Lowe’s discontinued their program of providing contractors for remodeling projects. I had to work by phone with a corporate Installation Manager, located hundreds of miles away, to coordinate completion of my project. I provided a complete written timeline of the project and it’s multiple problems , including 20 photos of damage and substandard work, to the Installation Manager with a request for fair compensation. My project cost $11k and I requested $6k in recompense. Lowe’s made one offer of $2k and refuses to negotiate. How should I proceed?

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If you have all your proof together, I’d arbitrate.

A: I would take them to the nearest Small Claims Court and ask for damages for $5,000. if you lose, you cannot appeal the Court's decision. If you win, the defendant (Lowe's) can appeal the decision and ask for a trial "de novo" (a new trial). Or you can file a civil lawsuit and serve it on Lowe's. The mere filing and serving the lawsuit might force them to up the ante.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.