Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA asked in Divorce and Child Custody for California

Q: Good afternoon, recently i was served divorce papers along with custody papers. I have no idea what to say or do. HELP?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vernon Charles Tucker
Vernon Charles Tucker
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Simi Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to first note how you were served. Was it personal service or served on someone else which is commonly known as sub service? Was the service valid?

The reason why this is important is because it controls when your responsive pleading is due. Which will either be thirty (30) or (45) days.

You need to then decide if you are going to represent yourself or get an experienced lawyer to handle the proceedings. Is it possible that you could work out the divorce informally or just agree on child custody? If so, this would be your best option, but if you cannot be civil and reasonable then its best to have an attorney in your corner to protect your rights.

A dissolution is a very serious matter and should not be overlooked as there is serious legal consequences that could take place if you ignore the paperwork or submit something that should not be submitted.

Vernon C. Tucker, Esq

(P) 818-699-0333

(C) 805-259-9951

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.