Grand Rapids, MI asked in Estate Planning, Legal Malpractice and Probate for Michigan

Q: I paid a lawyer $10,000.00 to go to probate court and before I could get all the information my father passed away.

He did 2 lady bird deeds and filed them and said they had started to work on the petition but a court date was never gotten. I am not sure how to approach him about this issue since he really didn't do what he was hired for and how I ask for a partial refund.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Direct communication is best. But first, review any engagement agreement you or your father signed with the lawyer. Depending on what exactly was to happen, your father's passing may have frustrated the process. Most lawyers want to be fair.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.