Paramus, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for New York

Q: A former tenant is threatening to sue because they believe I overcharged them for a repair.

I gave them a copy of the repair bill. I contacted multiple repairmen before finding one who could/would come. It's what I paid for the repair. What else do I need for court? If they sue, can I countersue for anything, because I suspect they are just threatening to sue to get more money.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Anyone can sue anyone if they pay the filing fee. You also need the lease that says you can charge for repairs of this kind. Nothing in your post suggests a counterclaim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.