Omaha, NE asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Divorce/Child Support !read the more information!

This is about my divorced parents and 14 year old brother. My mom has my father pay $1000 a month for child support (it has not gone through the court ) she has scared him into thinking the court will make him pay up to $2000 or more (My Father installs Carpet for a living) and that he will no longer see my brother, she has also threatened to get money out of him with alimony so he is now scared to take her to court my mother also does NOT use the money for my brother she uses It for vacations out of the country to see the reason for the divorce and things for that man and her personal use only. She has told my brother that the money is for her and not for him I’ve tried convincing my father to talk to a lawyer but he is to scared so I’m trying to find out what he can do and if I should find him a lawyer because he needs help !

1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: He needs to take a look at his divorce judgment to see how much and how he is to pay the child support.

If he was to pay it through the court and isn't doing it, he may be building up an arrearage.

Child support and visitation are treated as two separate issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.