San Diego, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: Did I make a mistake? I left my husband almost a year ago to move from cali to Ny.

Did I make a mistake? I left my husband almost a year ago to move from cali to Ny. I started filing for divorce in September and to avoid him getting my 401k I withdrew it all that December. I took a big tax and penalty hit on it. He still has not signed any divorce agreements yet. Am I in the clear or could he come after me financially?

I filed with online divorce. Com. And used Los Angeles County where we were married we have been married almost 5 years. I only had about 7k in my 401k b4 we got married and when I took it all out I had about 50k.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andy Cook
Andy Cook
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I need more information. Where was the divorce filed, or has it been filed. You mention "divorce agreements" but I'm not sure what that means. How long have you been married and when did you start the 401K?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.