Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Texas

Q: My unmarried sister died a year ago in Colombia without a will. She had no children.

My nephews and brother in Colombia are asking me how is my financial situation, how much is my retirement pension, etc. I don't know if I am going to be treated fairly. The attorney is a personal friend of my nephew.

What action should I take? Pls give me your advice.

Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your financial situation has nothing to do with how much of your sister's estate you should inherit according to Columbian law.

It does have something to do with how much a dishonest administrator is willing to give you and whether he thinks you will have the ability to sue and appear in court in Columbia.

Hold your tongue. If your sister had a Will or Trust which ties your inheritance to your current financial well-being, you should be given a certified copy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.