Asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment

Q: I was raped by a co-worker. He threatened me. Now that I don't work there anymore, can I make a case?

Six months ago I was raped by a co-worker. He told me that if I tell anyone he would accuse me of committing fraud in the business. So I didn't spoke to anyone. He was pretty abusive, mentally. He kept on threatening me. A month after, he went to our boss and told him that I stole from the business. The boss told me I could go freely or he would fire me. I took my bags and left. The guy now knows where i'm currently working and stalks me, sending me explicit pictures and text.

Can I make a case or is it too late?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: You are likely still within the Statute of Limitations for a civil lawsuit against him for rape, defamation, and interfering with your job, or you can report it to the police as criminal conduct.

A: If you feel you have been discriminated against by actions of your supervisors or co-workers at your workplace because of your race, age, gender (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation or national origin, religion or marital status or because you have a disability, or feel you have been retaliated against for speaking out or asserting your legal rights in the workplace, you should contact the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) here in Tallahassee. The FCHR's toll free telephone number is (800) 342 8170; or you can call them at (850) 488 7082. If you do call, ask to speak with an Intake Counsellor. You do not need a lawyer; but retaining one before you file a charge of discrimination will help get through the bureaucracy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.