Marysville, CA asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for California

Q: Can I use a recorded conversation as evidence against a school and school district?

I recently had a meeting with the principal and superintendent of my sons school regarding targeted, segregated, bullied, harassed, stalked, discriminated against and illegally searches my son has received several times by a female staff member. I brought a witness to this meeting who wanted to record but the superintendent and principal refused to be recorded, so we turned off the recorders. The principal and superintendent both made extremely disturbing comments, it was stated, that my son was a D and F student since 5th- 7th grade, when I asked why was he pushed through to the next grade and allowed to participate in school sports if he was a D/F student, the superintendent stated he did not have to answer my questions. The principal stated it was against California law for them to hold a student back and that they had no choice but to push my son through to the next grade. After the meeting I discovered the recording app did not close & recorded the meeting. Can I use the recording

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should immediately see a lawyer competent to handle school district and issues like yours, and place the recordings (or copies thereof) into the hands of the attorney for safekeeping until she can determine what to do with them. But do not relinquish control over the originals in your possession. You might never be able to use them in court, but the fact that you have them could be a benefit to you and, more importantly, your son. Discuss these matters with a good lawyer in the privacy of her office in order to determine what steps, if any, you should take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.