Bethesda, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: I am hoping to get married to my fiance in Honduras and I do not know how to file for a certificate of single status.

I am hoping to get married to my fiance in Honduras. He is a Honduran citizen and I am a US citizen, but we have been together for two years (I used to live in Honduras for two years). I looked into the requirements and know that I need to meet the following requirements: "Must provide a Single Statement issued by a Consulate of the country of origin accredited in Honduras, the statement must state the single civil status and that there are no obstacles for the marriage to take place. The single statement must then be authenticated by the Ministry of Government and Justice, and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs." However, I am unsure of where or how to get the certificate issued and authenticated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dayna Lally
Dayna Lally
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA

A: You could file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, and marry him here in the United States within 90 days of his entry. For marriage information in Honduras, I suggest that you contact the U.S. Embassy in Honduras.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.