Staunton, VA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My boyfriends ex wife will not allow their children to have any contact with him verbally or physically. Is this legal?

My boyfriend and his ex-wife are separated,but are not divorced as of yet. Hey do you have a mediation appointment set for the first week of August. There is no court order or motion for anything in regards to custody, child support, or alimony. But what we have looked up, he still has equal share in all rights to his children. She will not allow him to have any access to them verbally or physically nor will she make any contact with him whatsoever via phone email etc. She has taken them out of state to some summer camp just recently where they are at apparently right now without even informing him. Is she legally in the right to be doing any of this, and what legal right does he have with all of this. Is it considered parental kidnapping what she is doing especially since she made no contact whatsoever to let him know that she was taking them out of state? And what about her not allowing the children to have any contact with him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It is legal if she has good cause. However, likely she does not have good cause and is just using the children as a way to be vindictive. If she does not have good cause, doing what you describe her to have done will make her look bad in court and may also be a crime. Your boyfriend, needs to consult with a family law attorney who can review the situation in more detail and lay out his options. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.