Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: Immigration

Can i file for kids as a green card holder? My Husband is a United States citizen but lose his job so therefore I am the only person working in my household .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Anderson
Denise Anderson
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC

A: I cannot determine from your question if you are the biological or adoptive parent for the kids, or if your are related to the kids in other ways except for a parent child relationship.

If you are the parent of the kids you can file for them. A person who has green card can file for his/ her children. It would be an easier process if your husband who is a United States Citizen files the petition for the children. There are options that allow a person to combine their resources with more than one person to meet the requirement to file a petition on behalf of a beneficiary.

I recommend that you discuss your case with an attorney who will provide you with the right guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.