Knightdale, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: My brother in law is have an situation with his child mother. He wants to get custody of her. What should he do?

The mother contact the family in October tell us that she need the child to come here because they we're homeless. Now she is wanting to move back to Washington to live couch to couch again. We want to make sure we stay in contact with her because this is not the first time the mother has been homeless living in the shelter. However she spends a lot of time going back and forth with everyone in the family; one minute she wants contact but when we don't send money or whatever she blocks all contact. We have been dealing with her ways for too long. We are truly afraid to let the child go back to Washington state to uncertainty. We need help.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You need to consult with a local family law attorney regarding establishing custody.

Angela L. Haas

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your brother-in-law needs to file a Complaint for Custody. Prior to that, it would be best for him to at least meet with a family law attorney about his case. The attorney can help guide him on what to do (and what not to do).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.