Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: Custody/guardianship of 17 yr old in Texas

I have the 17 year old best friend of my daughter currently living with me. One of her parents is incarcerated, the other on drugs. Her grandmother has guardianship of her but can no longer care for her and is willing to relinquish those rights to me. In Texas, I’ve been told that minors in foster care are provided with a free college education. I would like to give her any extra “leg up” she can get in life, but can she go into foster care at this age and how can I insure I am granted fostering rights? She just turned 17 in June.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jon R. Boyd
Jon R. Boyd
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Call CPS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.