Belleville, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: How can I see if my parents left a will and if me and my sister are a part of it What information will I need and

Where would I go to find that out I’m in the state of Michigan

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Grosse Pointe, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There are a few options that may work. Often times a child of a deceased parent will have to go through the parent’s records and files at the parent’s home to find the will. Another option may be a safety deposit box at the parent’s bank. The existence of a safety deposit box may be found through reviewing bank records and bills for bank services. You could also check with the parent’s personal attorney who may have a copy of the will on file or be aware of the original will’s location. Lastly, the county may have a copy if your parent filed the will with the county. Probably unlikely but possible.

This is a common problem and may require a lot of digging. It’s also possible they just didn’t draft one. If they did, and they kept a folder with important documents like birth certificates or bank statements, probably best to check there first. Good luck.

Trent Harris agrees with this answer

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You leave out the most critical piece of information. Where were your PARENTS at the time of their passing? Specifically, the latter one to pass. That county would be the first place to start looking -- in Michigan Probate Courts often have 'safe storage' for people to use for wills during their lifetime, and once they have died, relatives or other interested persons can search for that information and begin probate to be able to look at the text of the will.

If there was no stored will, Mr Steiger's suggestions are the next process to go through. If your parents are still alive, the only way to get this information is to ask them. They do not HAVE to provide answers, but they are the only ones who can during their lifetimes.

I hope this helps.

--This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.