Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brooke Lauren Archie
2 Answers | Asked in Probate for Michigan on
Q: My mom died last April. In her will she named me personal representative. I recently received a check from Bank of

America for a refund of some kind. I know she'll have a small tax refund when I file her last return. What form(s) do I need to file with the courts to be able to cash these? I do not have any bank accounts with her name on them. Thanks.

Brooke Lauren Archie
Brooke Lauren Archie answered on Feb 10, 2022

You will need to file an Application for Probate along with the Will nominating you as Personal Representative. The Will must first be admitted and you must be appointed and receive Letters of Authority before you are authorized to transact any business on behalf of your mother's estate.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Michigan on
Q: Do the PR need to Petition the court for approval to Transfer the Property to self before Recording the PR Deed to self?

Only 2 heirs, one is the Personal Representative, with an agreement between heirs that the PR Heir will take over the Property, the other heir simply do not want any interest in it. The other Heir is not requesting any payment for relinquishing interest. The property has no Mortgage & a SEV... Read more »

Brooke Lauren Archie
Brooke Lauren Archie answered on Feb 7, 2022

It depends on the restrictions included on the Personal Representative's Letter of Authority. If it contains a restriction against conveying, selling, transferring property which is standard in Wayne County Probate Court, then prior court approval is required before the PR can execute a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Michigan on
Q: I need help with Wayne County probate Court my mother passed away my childhood home want to put into my name
Brooke Lauren Archie
Brooke Lauren Archie answered on Nov 1, 2021

Provided there or no other heirs or outstanding creditors (related to unpaid debts that your mother had), you can file an Application for Probate. Upon appointment as the Personal Representative of her estate, you may execute a Fiduciary Deed conveying the property to yourself. If there are other... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.