Lockport, IL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Our marital house hasn’t been settled in court but he has had 3 occupants move in- is that legal? (Illinois)

I had to move out in dec last yr due to his emotional and mental abuse/accusations. And he refused to leave- And I didn’t want my children to witness anymore... im currently renting a house until I can either get my house back- or if forced, sell and purchase a new home. I have the children (70%of the time) and needed to stay in district for education/ social purposes. He is not paying maintenance and gives child support when he wants and however much he wants. (It’s not court ordered yet.) He changed the locks on the house and said I wasn’t allowed there. What say do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert B. Buchanan
Robert B. Buchanan
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you have a pending divorce, you should file a motion to address everything you mentioned and to request temporary relief.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.