Raleigh, NC asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: I live in NC and got an underage alcohol ticket at the 500. How do I avoid my court appearance and clear my record?

I am 20 years old with a clean record and don't want to drive from NC to Indiana to go to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ralph Behr
Ralph Behr pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boca Raton, FL

A: Look at the ticket or Notice to Appear. File a written plea of not guilty in the case and you will get a court date. Next, file a motion for a plea in absentia and to appear pro se (without an attorney). You can go online and find a pleading to enter but only after the judge approves your motion to appear without an attorney. Based on the prosecutor's position if the State of Florida is not seeking a jail term of ten days or more you will not have any legal issues which would require the judge to hold a hearing on your competency to effectively represent yourself. A better way to handle this is to retain a local attorney to resolve the charges. If you do nothing there will be a warrant issued for your arrest and in the future if you have any contact with law enforcement you can be detained and extradited as an in-custody defendant to the Florida jurisdiction in which you were criminally charged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.