New York, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Landlord Installed the Wrong Sink/Faucet and Won't Fix It

We live in a rent stabilized NYC apt. Our bathroom sink had cracks that finally caved in leaving a hole.

After 6 years with a dedicated super, the landlord decides they'll only have a part-time Porter for cleaning & a tech/repair person only on a contract basis. So management orders the new sink with no knowledge of what's needed. When the contract tech arrives he can't install it because it's the wrong sink (with 1 hole instead of 3 so he can run the water lines to the original faucet). Instead of ordering the correct sink, the landlord orders a different faucet.

The tech returns & says right away that the faucet is TOO LARGE. It's as tall as the faucet in our kitchen; when you bend over the basin to wash your face your head hits the lever; that's how out of proportion it is to the bathroom sink. It renders the sink unusable.

The landlord says "Too bad, you have a working sink, we're closing the work order." Isn't this a case of diminished services?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you have conditions in your apartment that you believe would constitute a violation, you can start an HP Proceeding in Housing Court. An inspector will be sent to your apartment and issue a report of any violations that are determined to exist and the landlord will be required to fix the conditions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.