Oglethorpe, GA asked in Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning, Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Georgia

Q: My grandfather inherited a house and piece of land from my great grandmother after she passed.

Yes I am getting information for my grandfather. He inherited a house and piece of land from my great grandmother when she passed. He put his soon to be ex wife on the deed and now she is leaving and packing all her stuff to leave. She just came into alot of money from her father passing. Can he take her name off of the deed? And does she have any claim to the home or land?

2 Lawyer Answers

Paula J. Mcgill

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your grandfather should have consulted an attorney before she put her on the deed. If he did, he should go back to the attorney to consult with him or her.

Once you put a person's name on a deed, you can just simply remove it even if it was inherited. It was nonmarital property until he made the fatal decision to put her name on the deed.

Therefore, the best attorney to consult would be a divorce attorney. That attorney can advise him on her rights to the property and the likely equitable share she would be entitled to, if any in a divorce.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: He should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of the case and provide him with guidance. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.