Chicago, IL asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: I bought a used car from dealer. They couldn’t get me a title so I took car back and They gave me a check that bounced.

They had bought the car from an auction and sold it to me for $3600 with no warranty with temporary tag. Then engine showed damage a week later. I thought my only option was to sell car as is to get something back. However dealer could not get me a title for the car! I called them and because of the malfunction they wouldn’t give me my full refund but we verbally settle for $2600 to cut My losses. They gave me a check that bounced and resulted with fees on my account. They won’t answer my calls. And they told me to re-run the same check, but I called their bank and they verified that there’s still insufficient funds which would lead to another bounced check fee. This dealer is trying to rip me off. I have a copy of the check! What can I do? They just don’t want to pay!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can file a small claims action against them n your local municipal court. Bring all your paperwork, proof of the check bouncing, and all communications from them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.