Calabasas, CA asked in Contracts, Business Law, Collections and Intellectual Property for California

Q: I invested in a UK company, then the founder moved to the US and re-formed without notifying me.

I invested in a UK company. The founder claimed that he was shutting down the company. Next thing I know, he goes to the US and restarts the company. Now the company is successful and is operating strongly in the US. Do I have any grounds for a lawsuit? He did not give me any compensation, new shares, or even acknowledge that this was occurring. Seems pretty sneaky. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done.

2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It might be possible to bring an action against the founder. The facts must be examined by an attorney to see if they support bringing an action in the United States rather than in the UK. The facts must be examined to see if the founder committed any improper activities. The range of possibilities can go anywhere from absolutely nothing wrong up to a crime.

How much money did you lose? It could be worth investigating the situation.

A: Consult with an attorney and see if you have a case you can bring in your jurisdiction.

It may depend on the way the investment was structured and how the money/funds were used.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.