Sun City Center, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: On the actual paperwork I was served, the father's name was incorrect. It was a name I have never heard of.

Hi, I was served a paternity summons. The "father" has had 16% time with my son, and now wants 50/50 or possibly more. Also wants me to pay for his attorney fees

On the actual paperwork I was served, the father's name was incorrect. It was a name I have never heard of. My guess is it's a typo by his attorney office. Should I notify his attorney, or what should I do? The paperwork itself was very crude, mentioning things like I'm angry, and I want to move out of my hometown for a better life.. (not kidding)

Any help appreciated

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You must timely file a response to the petition, regardless of the incorrect name. If there's no way the named person can be the child's father, you would indicate that in your response. It is best for you to have an attorney representing you on this, especially since the other side has an attorney. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney, your local Legal Aid or Legal Services office would likely provide you with free representation.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.