Jacksonville, FL asked in Collections, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: I have a grown son living in my house. We want him to move out. The problem is my wife borrowed four thousand from him

For the down payment. We have been paying him back one hundred a month. He says we can't make him leave because of the money and because he lives here and receives mail here. What can we do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is not a legal question. This is a (very sad) personal dilemma created by you and your grown son. Unless the oral contract between you and your son is in writing it is no enforceable--by you or your son. Thus I am unaware of any legal remedy you could use lawfully to evict your son. At best you must wait until the $4,000 down payment made by your son is paid off--or go borrow whatever is still owed and pay it off that way.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.