Inman, SC asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: What constitutes extraordinary circumstances for a prisoner in South Carolina to receive a pardon in South Carolina

Thank you answering my previous question about my brother and his victim's family. His victims family members wrote the clerk of Court and the solicitors office stating that they request a time modifications and/or any relief the court may grant. The clerk of court/solicitors office sent a copy of the letter back to them advising them to write The South Carolina Dept. Of Probation, Parole, and Pardon Services. So now, no inmate has ever been pardoned in South Carolina based on the victims family writing letters of support. So, what constitutes extraordinary circumstances for a prisoner in South Carolina? And do you know or can afdvise me on a lawyer who will represent him Pro Bono, to fill out the application, investigate, and present it to The Board?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This is an information sheet provided on SCPPP’s website regarding the criteria that is considered in the granting or denial of a pardon or parole. I don’t know of anyone that does this work on a pro bono basis but you can certainly reach out to the S.C. bar or S.C. legal services to see if they have any resources. If they can not help you I would recommend retaining an attorney to help your brother.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.