Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for North Carolina

Q: Good Afternoon. Have a question? How much in a price range to get a petition the court to get removed off the registry

1 Lawyer Answer
Will Blackton
Will Blackton
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There is generally a $175 court fee to file for an expunction. The fee for an attorney's assistance is going to range depending on whether you're entitled to statutory relief (will automatically happen depending on your age at the time a crime was committed and the age and nature of the offense) or are applying to the Governor's office for clemency. You can find more information about expunction/expungement at

Having worked in the NC Governor's Clemency Office, I can say that when an applicant engaged an attorney, they had a much higher likelihood of success. You can find out more about the Governor's Clemency Office at:

If you are not currently incarcerated, you would apply for a pardon with the Governor's Office of Clemency. If you are incarcerated, the application would be for commutation, which seeks to reduce the time required to be served, to make parole eligible, or for immediate release. Pardons and commutation are a different type of relief than expunction: the criminal offense is not erased, but is generally forgiven. There are additional types of pardons that basically say: this person was innocent or this person is now allowed to own a firearm, despite a felony conviction.

Your motivation for seeking to erase a criminal record (easier to obtain employment, reinstatement of ability to own a firearm, or seeking to reduce the duration of incarceration) will guide which type of relief you should seek, as well as your age at the time a crime was committed and the age and nature of the offense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.