Acworth, GA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: I am an only child.Dad's estate is approx.$25,000.No other heirs.He died intestate.Can I file Small Estate affidavit?

Dad died here at my home in Cherokee County. He has a 2007 Nissan truck in my driveway and he has 2 bank accts with about $8000 in each. That is all! No other possible heirs! No debts, no creditors! Do I have to file for Letters of Administration or can I file Small Estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn L. Richards
Dawn L. Richards
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jupiter, FL
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You may file a Petition with the court to dispense with administration. The judge will determine if there are other heirs or creditors by advertising in the county of residence or where property is located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.