Sterling, IL asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: How can a state have 2 different dockets cases for the same child support? (Same mom, child and dad).

1982 (Michigan) When the divorce was final there was no order of support. In 1986 the mom put in for uresa initiating, & the state the dad was in gave an order of support. (North Carolina) later the dad moved to another state. (IL) Never heard anything from either states til 94 when there was a court hearing & dad did a phone call & mom never showed. The mom wrote a letter in 91 asking to stop current support & waive arrears. Taxes were taken in 2003 but refunded back a month later to dad. Years went on & nothing. Dad moved again (KY) In 2009 & 2010 taxes were offset & kept. Sept 2019 an income withholding notice with Michigan social security as employer.

Have been trying to get the orders, but Michigan Circuit court says they only have the uresa initiating records & divorce. They say get the rest from Friend Of the Court Family Division, but when asked for the orders, judgement, letter the mom wrote the court, & everything else to do with both case dockets along with all payments

1 Lawyer Answer
Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson

A: You definitely need to consult an attorney who can advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.