Norman, OK asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma

Q: Can I block my exes email account when his new wife is using it to harrass me & do his "co parenting" for him?

Ex & I share 4yr old. Live 745 miles apart. Have joint legal custody & I am custodial parent. I am to update him on child & when I do, I get harassed instead & his new wife seeks retaliation of some sort. She is very hostile & sarcastic. He has stopped talking to me & has allowed his new wife to take over his accounts, therefore not co parenting with me at all. Highly toxic, narcissistic relationship between them & its constant drama. I want to put an end to it. What can I do without getting in trouble? He refuses to communicate & I dont feel I should have to talk to his new spouse who has no legal rights to our child & attempts to intimidate me every chance she gets. The local police told me to block them but it's the only means of my good intentioned, one sided communication to update him on our child. New wife however uses it to attack & harrass me. She identifies herself in the emails from his account & even brags about her "control" over him.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You might want to get something official before you block it as you're liable to be made to look like the bad guy.

There are a few really good online programs available for situations like this where parents can login and upload pictures, report cards, etc. about the children then the other parent can login and look at it when they want to. In some States it even allows the Courts to have access. This keeps you from having to have direct contact with the parent or the step-parent and helps to avoid this toxic situation.

Pete David Louden agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.