Oklahoma Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: can I be convicted of Unauthorized use of motor vehicle with no proof ?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 20, 2019
Kyle Persaud's answer
This question is not really about libel and slander, it's about criminal law.

In order to convict you of a crime, the prosecutor has to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are guilty.

Q: i work as a nurse in oklahoma, and a nurse stated out loud " i want some of that you are taking" this was just a joke

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jan 7, 2019
Doak Willis' answer
If your employer does drug testing and makes it mandatory for all employees I don't see any problem of discrimination. If you were singled out there might be a case but other factors would still come into play. Since its supposed to be by blind pick, I would say that is fair. Have a talk with the employee who made that statement and ask nicely that he/she not joke about drugs in the workplace.

Q: Dated a man in the air force. He is a master sergeant and training for 1st sergeant and he asked me to marry him.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jun 27, 2018
Benjamin W Scott's answer
You have the right to walk away from him and get him out of your life. It is probably not worth the time or effort of trying to get the $100 back.

Q: I’m wondering what type of lawyer I would need for False Accusations on a Crash and Collision someone reported?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 18, 2018
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
See a personal injury attorney to discuss this with.

Q: What can I do about an ex who continues to spread lies and hate about me?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 8, 2017
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
Sorry I didn’t see this questions earlier, and it was not answered. If you still need help, please ask your question again, and give as many details as possible.

Please visit my website, www.garyjdean.com, and sign up on the home page for email updates on Oklahoma Law.

Good Luck!

Q: What can a former employer say about my time employed i with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 20, 2017
Howard Berkson's answer
A former employer can be liable under different legal theories for bashing a former employee on a reference check. Defamation is one theory. Under defamation, you would say that you have been economically injured because they have made false statements about you (your character, your competency, whatever), knowing the statements were false or with reckless disregard for whether they were true. Another theory has a fancy lawyer name: "tortious interference with contract." Essentially, we...

Q: Is renting furniture from a place like aarons renting it for a month then calling them to come pick it up and returning

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 12, 2017
Keegan Kelley Harroz's answer
Without having all the information regarding your case, I can not give any advise on whether this is a valid charge or not, but regardless, you definitely need a lawyer to help you with the criminal case. I suggest hiring an attorney immediately.

Q: My girlfriends paralegal mother claims to have done a background check without my consent on me. We're in Oklahoma.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 21, 2017
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
A "background check" can be as simple as running your name on public data bases such as the Oklahoma Supreme Court Network (OSCN). If she used a private or government database, it could cost her job.

Q: I have been slander from work cause another person more than one has lied upon me

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Answered on Nov 12, 2012
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
It usually costs a lot of money to hire an attorney to sue for this. The person you are suing would have to have a very deep pocket to make it worthwhile, and attorneys do not take slander cases on a contingency fee basis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.