Las Vegas, NV asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Nevada

Q: I’m 16 years old and I can’t find any path to becoming a citizen.

Basically when I was 6 months old my parents brought me to the United States and overstayed their VISAS. Nobody in my direct family is a legal citizen, and I am at a loss for answers. I’m currently going to a CTA highschool and I want to go to university and college, but I have no idea how to go about it. Unfortunately for me, the year I was supposed to apply to DACA, DACA was forced to not accept any new applicants. Last year I tried asking around to see if there was any possible way I could get citizenship/residency and I was told “no, you have to wait until DACA comes back”. Regardless, I am working hard to do good academically so I can get scholarships and apply for good colleges, but it all seems pointless if my citizenship status is going to hold me back. I also don’t have a Consular ID or drivers license. So my question is if there is anything I can do to become a citizen in the coming years other than just wait.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: The question requires legal advice that can take time and should be limited to an appointment, perhaps, a legal opinion.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who will take the time to carefully explain what can be done. Your parents ought to take care of the appointment fee, not just drop you on the door step of someone who won’t explain all of your options. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.