Naperville, IL asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: I paid my ex tru-up. She disagreed w amount & ripped the check up. She gave me a pic after. Do I have to pay her again?

She stated she disagreed with the amount. She wasn’t aware the tru-up starts day of filing divorce agreement. Check was significantly less than she expected. She threatened to and then the ripped check up. She gave me a pic to prove it.

1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Send her an email or a certified letter offering to go halves with her on an independent accountant or divorce lawyer to calculate the amount that the true-up requires. Otherwise, you don't have to do anything until she files a Petition to hold you in contempt of court. Then, you can show the photo with the ripped up check indicating that you did in fact attempt to pay her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.