Bethel, CT asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Connecticut

Q: Can a person under arrest for murder and who attempted suicide, now in hospital in critical, prolong the stay there inde

This is about the case of Fotis Dulos who is under arrest for the murder of his estranged wife Jennifer Dulos, and also under strict house arrest, and who attempted suicide yesterday and is now in critical condition in a NY hospital. He had just found out his $6 million bail would probably be revoked for lack of funds to cover it. So far he's avoided jail, but now jail looked imminent so he attempted suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, but failed because police found him in time. Can he prolong the stay at the hospital, or if he recovers somewhat but still is incapacitated or needs care, can he stay out of jail forever? His trial is still upcoming but date not set. What about if he recovers but still fakes illness? What are the statutes in CT on this? Thanks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Assuming is bond is revoked he would be held under guard at a hospital until well enough to transfer to a Correctional Center

There he could continue to receive medical treatment

A twist is that since he was taken to NY for treatment he would have to waive extradition back to CT or be extradited

Finally, assuming that he lives and leaves a hospital, he would need to be deemed to have mental competency to stand trial. Lacking competency he could never be tried

I think everyone needs to wait to see how the story unfolds to see what happens with his health and that may take some time to see where the legal case will go

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.