Pickerington, OH asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Ohio

Q: What can be done about my hospital bill now? Should I respond to the debt collector to have them validate the debt?

I gave birth to my son on 7/30/19 at 9:46pm. My husband and I have a high deductible insurance policy and expected to pay a large portion out of pocket, but we didn't expect to pay for stuff that never happened. The hospital strongly encourages NOT sending babies to the nursery. I kept my son with me 24/7 and the hospital charged me $3,650 for the nursery. I was charged $1,755 for the recovery room/board for 7/30 and $1,755 for 7/31. I wasn't in a recovery room on 7/30, I was in the labor and delivery room (a separate $4,300 charge for that room) as I gave birth later in the night and wasn't moved until 7/31. I can't be in two places at once and the hospital is double dipping by charging me simultaneously for two rooms! I disputed the charges unsuccessfully with the hospital. I even wrote a complaint to the Ohio Attorney General and after submitting the complaint against the hospital, the hospital sent my entire bill to collections ($10,163 total).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Myers
Daniel Myers
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It is illegal for a hospital to charge for items that were not approved or authorized by you, to charge fees for services and rooms never provided, and some of the other conduct you described could also be illegal. You potentially have some claims under the Consumer Sales Practices Act in Ohio, if the hospital was also in Ohio. You need to contact a consumer lawyer ASAP that handles medical billing issue. You may have claims against not only the hospital, but potentially the debt collector depending on how they communicate with you. My office is looking into a couple similar issues in Ohio hospitals. Happy to direct you to an attorney or discuss more specifically with you about your options if you think it would help. You need to get a good consumer law attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.